New Student Orientation Leader, Position Description:
The Orientation Leader position plays a pivotal role in helping to welcome hundreds of new students to the UConn community. This role will assist with all orientation events, including academic advising support, leading groups, facilitating opportunities for students to adjust to college life, and various other leadership and administrative tasks. The New Student Orientation Leader position is an outstanding opportunity for any student interested in gaining leadership skills and enhancing their marketability for future positions.
New Student Orientation Leaders will work with other staff members to facilitate the orientation program by:
- Leading group discussions and ice breakers with incoming students
- Providing administrative and hands on advising support to the Academic Advisors throughout the entire summer
- Assisting in the preparation of advising activities and materials
- Explaining academic opportunities and procedures
- Acquainting new students with campus services and resources
- Aiding in the development of class schedules and the mechanics of the class registration process
- Discussing sensitive issues
- Upholding all aspects of the University conduct code.
Professional Character of the Orientation Leader Position:
As an Orientation Leader, you will be working with University staff and incoming students in a peer-counseling situation, where your comments are interpreted as University comments and care must be taken to represent all aspects of campus life without personal bias. You will be viewed as a role model for the University of Connecticut; therefore, you need to maintain complete confidentiality and a high level of professionalism.
Detailed Breakdown of Orientation Leader Responsibilities
Assist with recruitment and selection of Orientation Leader Team
- Assist with the development of the Orientation Leader Training
- Communicate with New Students to facilitate registration for Orientation program
- Prepare and monitor check- in sheets, nametags, reports, etc. for each orientation session.
- Process the program evaluation.
- Other administrative duties as needed
Academic Orientation/Registration Assistance
- Be familiar with the academic requirements and regulations for the University’s schools & colleges, especially if the one you are selected to represent is not your school/college.
- Prepare students for advising appointments and class registration.
- Review school/college requirements for freshmen.
- Teach new students the class finding/selection features of the student administration system.
Prepare Self with Information and the Skills necessary for the Orientation Leader Position
- Be familiar with the responsibilities of the position and the contents of this job description, which represent the contract for the job.
- Participate in all training sessions for the position.
Other Duties as Required
All Orientation Staff will help in completing any other tasks that are necessary to get the orientation program accomplished. This includes stuffing packets, distributing materials, making phone calls, processing evaluations, helping with other tasks, etc.
Thank you for your interest in learning more about the Orientation program. We sincerely hope that you apply for the position!
Orientation Leader Training:
Training includes several weeks of team building and information sessions designed to prepare you to be a successful Orientation Leader. Orientation Leaders do not need to work on weeks without Orientation. Schedules will be clarified once all students have been hired. All training dates are MANDATORY and paid. All Orientation dates are MANDATORY and paid.
Training dates are tentatively scheduled on FRIDAYS from 9:30am-12:30pm. Training dates are tentatively scheduled as follows: February 24, March 3, March 24, March 31, April 7, April 21, May 12
New Student Orientation Dates:
As an Orientation Leader you will be required to be at each New Student Orientation Session from 8:30AM until about 4:30PM. Please note New Student Orientation 2017 is a 2-day program! (Dates are available in room 201, or 217)
- Full-time undergraduate student enrolled at UConn Stamford for Fall 2017;
- Must be in at least your 2nd semester by Spring 2017
- In good disciplinary and academic standing (2.5 CUM GPA)
- Preferred prior experience as an Orientation leader at UConn Stamford
- Computer skills: Student Administration System, Microsoft Excel, and UConn Email
- Possess the following skills and qualities:
- Sensitivity to diversity in all of its forms
- Ability to work under pressure
- Leadership development potential
- Effective communication skills
- Desire to work with students, faculty, and staff
- Ability to solve problems
- Team player with a positive work ethic
- Ability to be non-judgmental in presenting the University to new students
- Experience with leadership or co-curricular involvements on campus
- Must be able available for all orientation and training dates (No Exceptions)
There are many benefits for students who pursue an orientation position. Most importantly, Orientation Leaders will gain significant leadership experience; an occasion for developing professional relationships with faculty, staff, and students; and skills in effective communication. Remuneration is as follows:
- Paid training and orientation sessions
- Meals during all orientation sessions
- Orientation team shirt.
- Applications will be posted on the Student Employment website
- Search for: Class III - Student Orientation Specialist – 355.
- All candidates will be asked to have a faculty member submit an online recommendation letter. A link to this letter will be sent once you’ve submitted your application.
- All candidates who submit an application, faculty recommendation, and meet the qualifications listed above will be scheduled for an interview.
- Applications are due February 8th. Orientation interviews and selection will take place between February 13th-17th.